So I went from knowing nothing to finishing three completed 9-12 months sized criss-cross reversible pinafores! Unfortunately I did not take photographs of the process because I was so focused on it that it slipped my mind. Sewing the first dress was difficult — I did not have experience using a sewing machine at all. In fact, never touched one in my life. So I took out the Brother sewing machine manual and read it cover to cover: how to thread the bobbin, how to do lower threading, how to do upper treading, how to raise the lower threading, and how to back stitch. The project only required me to use a simple stitch so there was no need to figure out fancy stitching.
I ironed my fabric and since its reversible, I placed the two main sides of the fabric together. At this point I am suppose to stitch them together and I was so nervous putting my very first piece of fabric through a sewing machine. I had some practice with scraps of fabric and despite this, my first line was embarrassingly crooked as hell. I unpicked the stitches and tried again. It was no better the second try so I unpicked again. By the third try, it was somewhat better but slightly crooked. I thought its fine and moved on. Then I turned the fabric inside out, ironed it again to straighten it out and proceeded to stitch the straps to create the criss-cross effect and that was it! It was done. Well, not really. I stitched the wrong strap to the wrong side and did not get the criss-cross effect so I had to unpick the stitches again and re-do. The whole process took me two hours and a bucket of sweat. I was so tired that I decided that the other two dresses had to wait for another day.
I rested for a few days and then got started on the second and third dress. The second dress was really easy, it took 45 minutes and my lines were quite straight. I was surprised how quickly I finished it once I figured it out from the first dress. The third dress was even quicker — a mere 30 minutes. Just like that I had 3 dresses and since its reversible, its technically 6 dresses. I’ve been beaten down so hard by my dissertation that being able to complete a simple sewing project filled me with so much joy and accomplishment. It was not an impeccably-sewn dress, but it was at least properly done.
I decided that for Livia I was going to make another dress. Having completed this simple beginner’s project, I had a better understanding how pieces of fabric pattern came together. So I chose another simple project and this new project doesn’t require as much fabric as the criss cross pinafore so I plan to upcycle them from existing fabric I had in my stash.